Friday, February 13, 2009

Grandmother Bunts

Yesterday I played baseball with my four year old grandson Josiah. He has a unique approach to the game that I was not aware of. He decided that I was the batter and he was the pitcher. The first pitch went behind me so I let it go---good eye grandmother. The second pitch was hitable so I hit it---as hard as I could like I was taught to do. It went pretty far. Before I could revel in the joy of my hit, Josiah yelled, "Now you drop the bat and chase the ball. Hurry, Grandmother, that's how it's played." I followed his directions making a mental note that from now on, I would bunt if I was going to be the one who had to chase it. Later Natalie, Josiah's mother, confessed to me that she is the person who taught him these rather unusual rules because she didn't want to chase all the balls that Josiah hit. At some point I hope he learns the real rules, but until then, I remain the bunting grandmother.

1 comment:

Mrs. Thumb Up said...

Hilarious. Good idea Natalie. I think you should just claim that every one of your hits is a homerun and that some fan has caught it! Love, Erin