Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What to Give Up for Lent

Today is the first day of Lent. I have never been inclined to make huge adjustments in my life because of Lent although I can see advantages to doing something different to remind myself of the sacrifice made for me at Easter. As I pondered how to move forward during this Lenten season, I was reminded of something my daughter Erin did to honor Lent. She was about seven years old. As I was putting her to bed one night, we were having our good night chat. I commented to her that I had noticed that her school papers which had previously been rather sloppily done had recently become very neat. Wonderfully neat. I asked her what had inspired this change. She confided in me that she had given up being sloppy for Lent. This amazed me since we had never made giving up something for Lent a tradition in our home. Happily the habit of neatness that she formed during that Lenten season remained a part of her throughout the rest of her school life and into her adult life. Perhaps I will follow her example and practice a habit that would make me a brighter light to the world during this Lenten season.

2 comments:

Mrs. Thumb Up said...

That is funny. I don't remember ever being sluppy - oh whoops, I mean sloppy! :)

the abbott clan said...

I love that you have kept that box for posterity. It is really a beautiful story.