Saturday, February 14, 2009

Unnecessary Beauty

I am reading Vision for God by Brand and Jost. It is a wonderful read---the story of Dr. Margaret Brand who spent many years as a medical missionary to the people of India. During her years as a missionary she raised four children---a challenging job in any country but perhaps more so in India in the midtwentieth century. Yesterday,in the book her son Christopher said, "Didn't God make that sunset unnecessarily beautiful?" That question really stuck with me. As I drive home many evenings and see the glorious western sky I ruminate on the beauty that God has provided. Could we live without beauty around us? I guess we could, but isn't God wonderful to provide us with beauty that takes our breath away in the midst of a world where humans don't always live lives worthy of all that beauty. Thank you, Lord, for the unnecessary beauty you have provided me.

No comments: