I was at a party last night. I guess it was a party, (defined in the dictionary as a social gathering of invited guests), I was invited and we did socialize some, but the real reason the party was held was to sell us things that we want but don't need. As usual I had a good time because I am a people person, but there was an aspect to this party that wasn't fun.
There was a six-year-old boy who dominated the party.
It was a cooking show so all the ingredients were out complete with for-sale tools to demonstrate how to prepare each dish. When the hostess would request volunteers to cube bread with a knife that cut like magic, Mr. Six-Year-Old-Dominator would grab the knife. When the hostess would ask for a volunteer to use the lemon-juicer to see how easily a lemon can be juiced, Mr. SYOD would grab the lemon and proceed to juice it. The garlic press which "easily crushes a garlic clove" was grabbed by Mr. SYOD. He had met his match with the garlic press. His six-year old hands would not crush the garlic press although he continued to press, grunt and strain to get the job done---just what a lady who is selling this product wants to see happen. Finally another guest removed the press from his hands and showed that it could be easily done with normal adult hands. While we were filling out our order forms Mr. SYOD used a recliner with a movable footrest as a slide or jungle gym of sorts. Of course Mr. SYOD's mother gently and kindly tried to corral him with gentle looks and soft words but to no avail.
In my mind I returned to an afternoon when my daughter, son-in law, and my not yet two year old grandson and I were enjoying tea in a lovely English garden. My grandson being a toddler began to wander a little from table to table giving beautiful smiles to all the guests at the tea room. Of course, being his grandmother I thought he was adorable. However, his mother, with wisdom that is beyond the scope of grandmothering, immediately corralled him and kept him at our table where he could only smile at us. Her words of wisdom as she did this returned to me last night, " He is going to stay at our table. Other people may not think he is as cute as we think he is." How lucky I am to have children who parent with consideration for others!
1 comment:
Thanks for the compliment. It must have been a rare moment of wisdom.
Post a Comment