Saturday, November 1, 2008

Want to Know What Brown Can Do For You?

If you listen to ads much you will be familiar with the slogan, "What can brown do for you?" I have always thought that was a pretty cool slogan--nice ring, easy to remember. I wondered why they never answer the question. Now I know!!! About six weeks ago, I sent a package of coffee and creole spice from my home in Missouri to my son who lives in Austin, Texas. It was sent on October 6. Several days later he called to see when I sent it. I tracked the package and found it in San Antonio, Texas. This seemed abit strange because Austin is closer to me than San Antonio, but I didn't worry. I assured him that he would get it the next day. The next day I tracked it again and found that it was now in Vernon, California. I called United Parcel Service; they apologized and told me that it he would receive it on October 14. This was a little upsetting to me because I was flying to Austin on October 18 and would not have paid the $5.98 to have it sent if I had known that it would take so long for him to get it. By now I was enjoying tracking packages, so I tracked it again and found that it was now in Los Angeles, California. On October 14 my son called to say that the package had been delivered, but it was not in the original package as the creole seasoning was not with it and the coffee and been broken open and seasoned with creole spice. At this point I decided that a reputable organization like United Parcel Service would want to know of my problem and would want to reimbuse my loss. Happy customers are the key to any business's success. I called UPS, told my story, and was assured by a very nice lady that she had filed my claim, and someone would call me within a few days. A week later I had heard nothing so my husband got involved. He was told by UPS that a form had been sent to the HyVee store where I had paid to have the package sent and that HyVee had never sent it back. I went to HyVee. A very nice manager checked with their accounting office and was told that they had never received the form. While I stood there, the manager called UPS, and they assured him that they would fax the form, to him within ninety minutes. I agreed to check back in a few days. Three days later when I checked back I was told that HyVee had not received the form. A very nice lady in the HyVee accounting office recontacted UPS. They agreed to fax her the form. When she received it, she called me and said that UPS was asking for the receipts for the coffee and the creole seasoning. The package had been sent on October 6, twenty-four days before. I did not have the receipts. It was becoming increasingly clear that UPS was hoping they could make the process difficult enough to make me decide that the claim was not worth pursuing. I was determined that their ploy was not going to work. I went on line and found the price of the creole seasoning and to the coffee shop to get a receipt for the coffee. I took them to my HyVee store.
Within the next week I checked with Mallory, the nice lady in HyVee's accounting department who by now had become a friend of mine, and she said that UPS would probably mail the check directly to me. I told her that this was impossible because UPS had never in this chain of events asked for my address. A few days later Mallory called to tell me that HyVee had received a check made out to them, but that they would cash it for me. I picked up my check for $19.90, by my calculations the check should have been for $22.83, but I was not about to start this process over again. As for the question "What can Brown do for you?" DON'T ASK. YOU DON'T WANT IT DONE.

1 comment:

Mrs. Thumb Up said...

Very funny post. Sorry that brown isn't a great colour for you. I think you look better in orange anyway! Maybe you should try FedEx - they are purple and orange I think.