Saturday, November 22, 2008

Grandmother Angered by Standardized Testing

I have been a teacher for many years and often viewed the results of standardized testing as "a useful tool." Never, until I became a grandmother, did the questions asked upset me. Recently my three year old grandson was being asked a question by his Parents as Teachers lady. The question was, "What would you do if you walked into a very dark room?" His answer was, "I would try very hard not to be afraid." What a wonderful answer! However, it was not what the tester was looking for so he did not get any points. Of course, he knows that you turn a light on to solve the problem of darkness, but she did not ask how you solve the problem of darkness, she asked, "What would you do?" Is it possible that we have to deal with our fear before we have the courage to walk to the switch and turn the light on? It reminded me of another time when a tester asked a lady "What would you think if you entered a room full of spiderwebs?" Her answer was, " I would think spiders had been there." Good answer, but not what the tester was looking for. What a boring world this would be if all our answers were exactly what standardized tests wanted us to answer.

No comments: