I recently traveled to a nearby town to have lunch with a friend. I had directions written carefully in my little address book. When I got to the part that said "turn left at the stop light in California," I realized that I had a problem. A new highway had been finished since I wrote the directions and the new highway by-passed California. I was stumped. Most people wouldn't have been; but since I am directionally challenged, I didn't know what to do. I have been lost so many times that I do not venture out without carefully written directions. My carefully written directions were not valid. I pulled over and called my friend. I was directed to take Highway 87 south----a left turn. I do not use terms like south and north. "South" and "North" were armies in the Civil War, and they are of no help to me. This experience taught me a valuable lesson: DO NOT WRITE DIRECTIONS USING LANDMARKS because they change. I was talking with some sympathetic friends----all women---about this. They agreed with me that "turn left" and "turn right" are better directions than "turn north" or "turn south." Only men use those directions; and if the sun isn't up or you don't know whether it is A.M. or P.M., north and south are useless; but left is always left and right is always right no matter what time of day it is. I think I will stop now and go take a walk up the hill and turn left by a little clump of daisies. I will continue to go straight until I pass the yellow house and then I will take a left and go downhill until I come to the house that has the statue of St. Francis of Assisi in the flower bed. I will then turn right and return home remembering to turn right by the little clump of daisies. (I hope no one painted the yellow house or picked the daisies.)
No comments:
Post a Comment