Saturday, November 21, 2009

Humbled and Comforted

When my children were small, they kept me humble. They have been grown up for some time now and no one has humbled me for awhile. I am not so vain that I think every song is about me, but I haven't been put down for awhile at least not until last Thursday morning when I kept Josiah, 4, Esther, 2, and Miriam, who doesn't have a number yet. I was having fun playing war with a deck of cards with Josiah. As he laid down a very high card, he growled in a very stern voice, "Take that you black-hearted fink." Then he smiled lovingly at me. What strange words from the mouth of a four year old. I quickly recovered from being referred to lovingly as a "black-hearted fink. It was then that Esther sat down by me and we had this conversation:

Esther: I just love my mommy.
Me: That's wonderful.
Esther: I just love my daddy.
Me: I am so glad.
Esther: I just love Granddad.
Me: Good.
Pause, very long pause. I am feeling very left out. Is the conversation over? Gingerly and softly I say: Esther, do you love me?
Pause. Very long pause. She is ruminating. And then in a perfunctory way: Yeah.
End of conversation.

Luckily when Miriam awoke from her nap she was very glad to see me which somewhat comforted me.



1 comment:

Mrs. Thumb Up said...

I would be happy to see you too after waking up from a nap. Those dang Abbott kids - don't appreciate anything! :)